Saturday, February 14, 2009

Can you feel the love?

Valentines Day has come to an end, and I am sitting in my chair reflecting on my day, and a few in the past as well.

Dan and I celebrated our 5th Valentines Day together today. Now, as I sit here, he sleeps calmly on the couch nursing his sore shoulder. On our first Valentines Day together, Dan had flowers sent to his home where he knew I would be when they arrived. He had ordered 11 long stem red roses and 1 pink one. I was really taken aback by this gesture simply because we were really only dating at the time, and had not made any sort of commitment to one another. I was so smitten by the fact that he had paid enough attention to me to know that I would absolutely love the fact that he chose to include just one rose in my favorite color. Every year since that first Valentines Day together, I have received the same bouquet of flowers. This is even more special to me because of the simple fact that I rarely get roses throughout the year, if I get them at all. I am perfectly ok with that, honestly. Dan does lots of little things for me, so I don't feel like I need flowers on a regular basis.

So anyway, each year, I sort of "expect" that I will get my special floral arrangement, and yet, I am still as giddy as a school girl when the flowers arrive; whether delivered by a delivery man or by the man of my dreams. Dan is not a very romantic person by nature, and not so romantic even when he tries. This is the one gesture that I look at as the most romantic thing anyone could do for me, and yet it is such a simple thing. So as I sit here thinking and reminiscing, I am flushed with emotions of love and adoration for this man. I love him on a daily basis, and I cherish him more than most anything in this world. I know the love that he has for me, and I know that our love is strong and secure. That is a wonderful feeling.

1 comment: